The Italian Society of Anatomy was founded in
1929 by Nello Beccari, Luigi Castaldi and Emerico Luna under the
auspices of Giulio Chiarugi.
The first congress was held in Bologna (8-10 October 1929) chaired
by Giulio Valenti
Since December 2004 it changed its name into “ITALIAN
SOCIETY OF ANATOMY AND HISTOLOGY” (SIAI).
The institutional aims of Italian Society of Anatomy and Histology
are the increase and the promotion of research and teaching in
morphological (anatomical and histological) disciplines.
Currently it has over 450 members and has reached the 72th
National Congress (Parma, September 2018).
The official organ of the Society is the “Italian
Journal of Anatomy and Embryology”, in which the proceedings
of the annual meeting as an ordinary supplement are published.